Looking for an apartment can be a chore. With the world moving as fast as it is today and everyone being so busy, the time and effort it takes to apply for a rental property can be exhausting. The application process alone can be a major headache if there is not clear criteria available.
If you’re a St. Louis tenant, we’re sharing some important information on how to apply for an apartment or a rental home.
Before you Apply: Questions to Ask
Before you apply, you should understand the following:
- What is the rent and security deposit, and how long is the lease term?
- What utilities are you responsible for?
- Are you responsible for lawn and snow care?
- What are the specific terms of the lease?
- How much is the fee to apply?
- How much do you need to earn to qualify for this home or apartment?
- How important is your rental history?
- What paperwork is necessary to apply?
- Does everyone living in the unit have to apply separately?
- How long does it take to process the application?
- What specific issues are being reviewed during the vetting process?
- What credit score is needed?
So where do you start?
You will need to do your research and find a property that you are interested in. Online is your best source. Many people refer to Craigslist, Zillow, Hot pads, Trulia and other rental sites.
Take Your Time and Do Your Research
Make sure you do your homework and find a place that is convenient for you. It should be close to work, school, and even the grocery store.
Once you find a home, review the company’s rental criteria and see if you qualify so you don’t waste your time and money. We recommend that you drive by the property before you set up a viewing. Make sure the area fits your needs and that you like the neighborhood. Then, schedule a viewing.
A reputable St. Louis property management company will make finding a property easy and will provide a smooth application process. At Deca, we list our criteria and our available properties online.
Showings and Applications with Deca Realty
We show properties seven days a week, and our leasing representative will be at all appointments to answer any questions you may have. You will be handed an application to take with you if you are interested. You can apply online, in person, or even by mail.
We charge a nonrefundable $35 application fee per adult applicant. We collect a copy of your driver’s license, social security card, and proof of income with your application. Then, we will:
- Review your credit score
- Verify your identity
- Search public records
- Review your criminal history
- Review your eviction records
- Verify your employment and your rental history
- Check your income to make sure you fit your rent-to-income requirements
Our team will process the application in two to five business days.
Once we approve an applicant, we have to continue to show the property and accept applications until the approved applicant pays the security deposit, which is typically the same amount as one month’s rent. The applicant then has 30 days after paying the deposit to schedule their lease signing, pay their first month’s rent, and move into their new home.
We are proud of our screening and application process, and we’d love to work with you. Contact us at Deca Realty.