St. Louis property owners should have the right landlord insurance policy in place to protect their investments. This policy is similar to homeowners insurance, but for property owners. At Deca Realty, we strongly encourage all our property owners to have a discussion with their insurance agents, to make sure they understand their level of coverage.

Breaking It Down

A rental property insurance policy covers the structure. It may also protect your finances in the case of severe St. Louis weather, fire, or damage from criminal acts. In addition, your policy can also provide you with coverage against injuries sustained by someone while on your property.

Structural damage to rental property is usually covered by a basic policy. This same policy can also protect fences, garages, retaining walls, swimming pools and out buildings. It can also include coverage for the maintenance equipment and gardening tools that you own and keep stored on the property.

Regular homeowners insurance and Landlord Insurance differ in one important way. That is coverage for any personal property, such as jewelry or clothing, is not included in a landlord policy. Tenants living in your apartment buildings or rental homes are responsible for their own renters insurance policy to cover their belongings.

Additional Coverage Options Worth Considering

A basic Missouri rental property insurance policy can provide coverage for the typical claims a property owner will face. Additional coverage can be purchased for things like lost rent, due to an accident or damage. Legal fee coverage protects against costs if a legal claim is filed against you.


Additional insurance clauses can provide protection both from medical and legal bills that arise from tenant injury, or the injury of a guest, if they occurred on your rental property. Usually the landlord will be held liable for harm that occurs because of certain injuries on the property.

This clause provides a way to cover the medical expenses of tenants and their guests. It may also cover some legal fees.

Loss Of Use

A loss of use clause is similar in purpose to tenant damage, but goes significantly further. This clause is intended to protect the landlord against damage that makes rooms or even the entire building uninhabitable. During repairs and inspections, you can’t rent out that apartment or house. The result is a significant loss of revenue. Landlord insurance will sometimes cover you for as long a year, provided it takes that long to finish the repairs.

Landlord Or Homeowners?

Landlord insurance helps protect against risks specifically related to tenants and rental property. At Deca Realty, we strongly encourage our property owners to review their coverage levels and make sure they are well informed about their current policy.